Friday, June 20, 2008

100

This is my official 100th post!

Gee, I really don't have anything to add to that.

So, getting back to the summer theme I've had going on for a few weeks... I've noticed that alot of the things I mentioned in my last post about my childhood are now considered "incorrect". Like catching fireflies and minnows - now you have to "catch and release" fireflies and minnows. Sprinklers waste water, and shouldn't be used. Bubble solutions are bad for the environment and shouldn't be used outdoors where they could run off into the water supply. Even making a birdhouse is dangerous - if the holes are not the perfect size, the birds will get stuck and die. If you make your own hummingbird food, you have to perfectly sterilize the water and use distilled water, lest you cause teeny tiny tummy aches.

So my recommendation? Let your kids have fun and do what you did as a child - just don't disclose all the details to everyone. Umm... Like on a blog, or something... It's not that I don't care about the environment, it's just that I think we have bigger fishes to fry than fireflies and bubbles.

Here's a recipe for the perfect bubble solution and the homemade hummingbird nectar:

Foolproof Bubbles

Simply stir together 6 parts water, 2 parts Joy dishwashing liquid (this brand works the best), and 3/4 part corn syrup. Store in a covered container.

Hummingbird Nectar

4 parts water / 1 part sugar

Bring water to a boil and stir in sugar. Boil for 2-3 minutes. Let cool. Excess nectar / hummingbird food can be stored in a tightly covered jar in refrigerator for one week.

Do NOT substitute honey for sugar!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK! YOU MAKE MY DAY EVERY TIME I READ YOUR BLOG - YOU KNOW HOW TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS & YOU TELL IT LIKE IT IS :o)

Sara M. said...

Thank you anonymous. Gee, I wish I knew your name...

But thanks for reading my blog anyway :o)

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com