Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Little Too Far?

So, maybe no one noticed, but I've been quite silent lately. No posts since the week before Thanksgiving. Well, I'd like to think AT&T wireless DSL for that. And busy-ness, not to be confused with business - I do not make money being busy.

Anyway, I decided to come back to my dear blog today. I first checked my e-mail, and found this:



Ummm... Okay. Apparently, this commercial has become quite controversial, and even considered offensive to many mothers who wear their babies. I myself wore Ethan in a sling (and still do every now & then), but I never needed the Motrin. The commercial has been taken off the air, by the way.

What do you think? Is this anger directed towards Motrin unfounded? Is it simply some babywearing mommas overreacting? Or is it really worth the grumbles it has caused?

If you wear your own baby (or did), do you find this commercial offensive? After all, why did you chose to use a sling? Some do it for convenience, some do it for the bonding, some do it for health reasons... But is it really something that should be used to sell pain medication?

What about these lines from the commercial:

"Babywearing seems to be in fashion."
"Supposedly it's a bonding experience."
"Babies worn close to the bod tend to cry less than others."

Interesting, don't you think?

2 comments:

rachel... said...

Interesting. I hadn't seen this before. I wear my babies only when it's been absolutely necessary, as it was uncomfortable to me. Maybe just showing a busy mom going through the everyday motions, toting groceries, bending over to wipe up spills, baby wearing, etc, would have been a more effective, and less controversial ad? I didn't find the ad offensive, but it didn't make me want to buy motrin, either.

Sara M. said...

Rachel,

I think as moms we so often forget that every mom is different. Just because babywearing didn't bother me at all, for some it is an uncomfortable thing to do.
Thanks for the reminder :o)

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com